Vacations are stress-busters and an opportunity to enjoy a few days away from the hustle and bustle of work pressures both at your job and in life. So, you’ll want to make sure that while you are away, you enjoy your vacation instead of worrying about your job or home. Yes, securing your home is topmost on your mind when on a holiday or vacation.
Is your door hardware locks secure? Is the smart lock functioning properly? Have you locked all the valuables? Have you checked to see if the windows are closed? You need to take care of a lot of things and be prepared before you leave your home. Here are a few tips our home security expert, Desert Locksmith, would like to give you on how to secure your home during a holiday or vacation.
1. Double-check the lock
Usually, travel plans like packing and sorting get extended until the last minute giving you no scope to check all the doors and windows before starting your travel. One way you can avoid keeping a door or window unlocked is to make a checklist of doors and windows to be latched before you exit out of the gate. Check if all the window and door locks are properly functioning at least a week before so that you can hire the services of Desert Locksmith in time and get them repaired or replaced before you travel.
Note: Some insurance policies cover only claims when there is a forced entry. So, leaving your door unlocked may prove to be costly.
2. Install alert systems
CCTV cameras and burglar alarms help you in instances when there is an attempted burglary. There are a lot of options available in these and you can take the help of reliable locksmith services like Desert Locksmith. They will inspect your home and vulnerable entry points before deciding on the type of alert systems you will need for your home. Install smart lock managed by an app that triggers an alarm when it detects a forced entry. We’ll come to it later in this blog.
Note: Installing alert systems in your home proves that you are committed to saving your home from theft. This may help you to reduce your home insurance premiums.
3. Don’t exhibit your valuables
A simple wallet or laptop lying unattended on the table can lure burglars to break in. Keep all the valuables out of sight through the windows so that it doesn’t become a motive for thieves to steal. A better option is to keep them in a safe or hand them over to your trusted friend or family member so that you can collect them back on your return. It saves you the headache of having to constantly worry about it when in fact, you’ve to be enjoying your holiday.
4. Keep your garden tools away from the reach of burglars
A simple ladder or a hammer outside or in your unlocked garden woodshed is a self-invitation disaster that you wouldn’t want to happen. If at all you have to keep the ladder outside, make sure it is secured in place with a padlock and chain. Also, don’t forget to lock the garden shed or outhouse and keep the tools away beyond the reach of any prospective burglar.
5. Don’t make your house look unoccupied
Thieves are always looking for signs that show that the house has been unattended for days. Some of the signs they will be keenly observing are-
- Dirt or leaves piled up on the porch
- Deliveries on the doorstep
- No car in the parkway
- Bins that have been emptied but not collected
- Dropbox with letters in it
- No lights at night for a few days inside the home
If you have a helping neighbor, request them to take a quick home tour every day or at least once in 2-3 days. They can switch on the lights, collect letters from the mailbox, and park their vehicle in your drive. It is to make sure that the burglar knows that someone is at home or at least tending to it in your absence.
6. Install smart lock system for your home
Technology is advancing and so is the home lock system. Install smart lock in your home that adds an extra security layer. It detects unusual entries and notifies you when you are away on a holiday or vacation. Don’t just buy any smart lock. There are a number of features you should look into when buying a smart lock for your home. Consult your trusted Desert Locksmith before you install smart locks for your home. A well-thought-out security system offers you convenience while alerting you to worst-case scenarios.
Here are some additional points you need to watch before setting out on your holiday or vacation-
- Don’t post your journeys on social media if you feel you haven’t done enough to secure your home. Post them after returning, instead.
- Notify your trusted neighbor and ask them to keep an eye on any suspicious activity.
- Join community groups on messaging services such as WhatsApp. You can also ask your partner to join the local ladies’ group or men’s group so that you follow the latest updates in your community when you are on a holiday. These groups help you secure your home when you are on a vacation.
- As much as theft is a problem, check to see if your faucets are properly closed and if the electrical appliances are switched off. A small leak can lead to a pipe burst which could eventually flood your home in your absence. A minor spark could also damage your home. Secure your home against such mishaps in your absence.
- Install outdoor lights near the door entrance and at vulnerable points that can act as a deterrent to intruders. Keep them on at all times when you are out on a holiday. Also, CCTV cameras and motion sensors installed at these points can help you keep a check on intruder activity.
- You can also set timers for your lights both inside and outside your home. It’s a great way to ensure security while saving on electricity bills.
- Do not close all curtains when you are out. Keep some of them open to make it look like someone is at home. Keep all the valuables out of sight where the curtains are open.
- If there are any postal letters or parcels on your doorstep, request your neighbor to collect them and keep them in their home until your return.
- Ensure that your home insurance policy protects your home from thefts and housebreaks.
- Ensure that you save the contact number of your local Desert Locksmith services. You never know when it might be useful.
As they say prevention is better than cure. So, the best way forward to secure your home while you are out on a holiday or vacation is to install smart lock and check if the door hardware locks are working properly.
Never compromise the security of the door not only while on vacation but at all times. Install high-quality door hardware locks to secure your home from any potential break-in attempts. For best results, we recommend you consult the local Desert Locksmith services.