No matter how secure they are, regular keyed locks can be tampered with somehow or the other. Besides that, no one would like to be in a situation where you’re locked out of your home and need help to get inside. A smart lock usually solves this problem by making keys optional- you could gain access to your home armed with a secret numeric PIN that you enter instead of inserting the key in the lock. A smart lock is way more convenient and user-friendly than a traditional lock and key arrangement.
Why is a smart lock a better choice for your home’s security?
First and foremost, a smart lock relieves you of the responsibility of carrying around a wad of keys. Instead, you could gain access by either entering a secret PIN or entering your thumb impression. Though keys are available, they can be used as a backup. In fact, many new-age smart locks come with mobile apps so that you can remotely control your home.
Furthermore, a smart lock installed on the property gives you a better price for the property as against those homes with conventional locks. Even if you are applying for home insurance, the mere presence of a smart lock can help significantly reduce costs. Though there are many kinds of smart locks available, there are some that you can install yourself on your door. Let’s see how.
Steps to install a smart lock on your front door
- First, you need to remove your old lock. As you have access to the door and its keys, start by locating the screws on the interior of the lock and unscrew them.
- You would be able to remove the locking mechanism from the inside. On the outside, the key assembly would be loose, pull that off from the front.
- On the side of the door, there’s the bolt that slides out to secure the lock. Locate and remove the screws with the help of a screwdriver. You can now pull out the old lock.
- With the new lock bolt, you usually get a new deadbolt, strike plate, and other miscellaneous hardware. To start with, you could install these pieces with the help of a screwdriver and a few other tools.
- First, install the strike plate and deadbolt. If the holes are smaller than the screws, you may need to drill a little until the strike plate and deadbolt are firmly in place.
- Next, you need to install the front and back of the smart lock. For this, you will need to make sure the parts are aligned correctly. Check the how-to-install brochure to make sure you’re doing it right.
Once done, add the batteries and complete the setup as given in the user manual for the smart lock installation. Though you could install a smart lock yourself, it may not be enough as you need to secure your entire home. This means all entrances to your home need a smart lock. Also, each one of them must be in sync so for easy management and convenience.
In the end
Though there are many smart locks in the market to choose from, not all could be ideal for your use case. That’s why you need a professional locksmith to understand your requirements and help you choose the right security system that could be ideal for you. With Desert Locksmith, you can be assured of highly experienced and professional locksmiths who’d help you secure your home. After all, you cannot take your home’s security for granted.