Programmable car keys have changed the way we see cars. Before programmable keys, we had traditional keys using which car bearers unlock or lock their doors. One of the primary concern while using these keys were car thefts. It was easy for thieves to steal a car leaving behind no traces. However, those were the earlier days. Now, we have car key fob programming and locksmith service to make more intelligent choices.
We must credit technology and the development of the microchip for the present programmable keys. Though this development reduced the number of car thefts, there were other serious issues lined up for car owners.
What will you do if you are locked out of your car?
What to do if you lose your car key fob?
We would not want to be put into such situations. Unfortunately, when we are caught in the whirlwind, we expect an immediate solution. It is where locksmiths rescue you. Desert Locksmith is well-equipped to get you out of difficult situations instantly. They will program your car key and get the job done. In this blog, we will walk you through the technicalities behind the process. Let’s see how to program a car key in 2023.
Can You Program Your Car Keys?
We are in the DIY (Do It Yourself) era where we prefer doing things or tasks on our own before getting professional help. With Google having solutions to almost everything, we first consult Google before taking an actual decision on the problem. This scenario includes car key programming.
When we get locked out or lose our key fob, we try to fix it on our own. But, imagine what would happen if you can reprogram your car key by yourself. Won’t it become easy for thieves to steal your cars? Though few car manufacturers let you program the key by yourself, the best solution is to consult an automotive locksmith and get your keys reprogrammed.
So, can you reach out to any car locksmith? No! Not all locksmiths are equipped to solve your problems. It depends on the magnitude of the issue along with their credibility. It is better to acquire professional help than to worsen the situation. Automotive locksmith has the right tools to reprogram chips and make your car operational.
We are skilled locksmiths who have over a decade of experience in dealing with critical situations. We have advanced tools and the technology to reprogram or repair your car keys right away. We are just a call away. Just call us and let you know. We’ll be available to get you out of the problem.
How To Program Car Keys In 2023?
There is a different procedure to program a first key when compared to the second or third keys.
Note: This is a general method. Please read your owner’s manual to see if the car model manufacturer allows you to program your car key.
Steps To Program The Second/Third Key:
It is comparatively simple to program a second or third key by yourself.
- Keep all your keys in an easily accessible place. Make it a point to keep your blank key separately.
- Insert your key into the ignition and turn it to the ‘ON’ position. However, don’t turn on the ignition. Just ensure that your electrical system is activated.
- Once the power is activated, turn the key to the ‘OFF’ position.
- Remove it now from the ignition.
- Between adding the first and second keys, you have only a time frame of 5 seconds. So, be quick to swap.
- Whether you can program your key the second time or the third time depends on your car model.
- Repeat the process for the second key. If you have a third one, repeat the process.
- In either case, when you insert and turn off the new key, your car will switch to security mode.
- When the key is programmed, your security light will turn on in the dashboard and remain turned on for about three seconds.
- You have to press the buttons on the key to confirm in certain cases.
- Once the light turns off, remove the key and reinsert it to test it.
Steps To Program The First Key:
There is only a handful of manufacturers who let you program your car’s first key. We reiterate that it is best to sign up for a car locksmith service for car key fob programming. Here are the steps to program the first key of your car.
- Remember, don’t turn on the engine. Put the key into the ignition and move it to the ‘ON’ position.
- Leave the key for 10 minutes and 30 seconds and turn the key to the ‘OFF’ position.
- Repeat the process for the second and third times.
- Now turn the key to the ‘ON’ position. Your key is programmed.
- You can now test the programming by turning on the ignition.
What Is The Time Frame To Reprogram?
When you have to program a spare key, it is a simple task. However, if you have lost your key or if your key is broken, the time taken will vary. For some models, the task is done in minutes. On the other hand, certain car models take a longer period. In either case, the locksmith has to configure your car’s system to read the wireless system of your key.
If your car doesn’t allow the cloning process, then you have to take measures to diagnose it and program the key. When the right locksmith works on the problem, the issue gets resolved without much trouble.
It can be difficult to program a car key for the first time. Even if you know the process, we recommend leveraging expert help to get the job done. We at Desert Locksmith work tirelessly to solve your car woes. If you have any doubts or concerns regarding your car or its related services, reach out to us. We’ll help you resolve them and avert such challenging situations.